International Applicant

Salary and Benefits

Salaries are based on the prevailing wage for registered nurses, as set by the United States Department of Labor. Our benefit package includes medical, dental and life insurance; a 401 (k) savings plan; professional liability insurance; travel and/ housing assistance; and other incentives that will be discussed when you sign your UNI contract.

The “Green Card” (Permanent Residency)

All nurses who come to America to work for UNI enter the U.S. with what is commonly called the “Green Card” (Permanent Residency). Also known as an Immigrant Visa, EB-3 or Third Preference, this allows you to work in the U.S. for as long as you like as a permanent resident of the United States.

Because of the large number of people who apply for a “Green Card” (Permanent Residency) the entire process takes about eight months to one year to complete.

The “Green Card” (Permanent Residency) is especially valuable for married applicants. UNI sponsors the nurse for a “Green Card” (Permanent Residency), but the nurse’s spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 will also be automatically be entitled to apply for a “Green Card” (Permanent Residency). All “Green Card” (Permanent Residency) holders are legally entitled to work in the USA.

For updated immigration information, please visit

The Visa Process

To work in the U.S., all citizens of foreign countries must obtain a visa issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

While this can be a lengthy and complex process, United Nursing International works hard to make it as simple as possible for you. We will guide you through every stage of the process.

INS must approve an immigrant visa petition (Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker) for the person wishing to immigrate to the United States. UNI acts as the sponsor (or petitioner) for the nurse (or beneficiary) who wants to live and work on a permanent basis in the United States.

Note: U.S. immigration law now requires that healthcare professionals, other than physicians, complete a screening program in order to qualify for certain occupational visas. VisaScreen,T a program offered by the International Commission on Healthcare Professions (ICHP, in association with CGFNS), enables healthcare professionals to meet this requirement by verifying and evaluating their credentials. This assures compliance with the government’s minimum eligibility standards.

The time period to receive the VisaScreenT certificate varies. UNI recommends that you complete an application as soon as your I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, has been filed with INS. You’ll need to present the certificate when you go for the final visa interview at the consulate, so having it in plenty of time before your interview will help relieve some of the stress you’ll naturally be feeling at that point!

See VisaScreen for more information and an on-line application request form.

Immigrating to the USA

Once you have obtained your Green Card / Visa (Permanent Residency), you are then ready to immigrate to the U.S. to work for U.N.I

Most U.S. hospitals schedules vary for their nurses, depending on hospitals. Shifts vary between 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts. U.S. hospitals also have their own policies with regard to day, evening and night shifts, as well as weekend and holiday assignments. Weekend and holiday assignments are generally shared by all nurses.

Prior to your arrival in the US, U.N.I. will begin working with our client healthcare facilities to review their current openings. We will endeavor to match each nurse’s skills and assignment-length preference with the client staffing needs.

At U.N.I., we will provide you with detailed information on your hospital and surrounding area. You will be placed where your qualifications and assignment length meet the clients staffing needs.

When you arrive in the United States of America, a U.N.I. representative will be there to meet you. We will have already made arrangements for your transition to your new hospital and community. Your U.N.I. representative will also help you with various arrangements.

U.N.I. suggest that if you are married and have a family, that you come alone to the United States for the first six months of your assignment. This gives you time to settle in and get acquainted with your facility, as well as adjust to your new surroundings. This will equip you with the information needed to help spouses find employment as well as childcare and school enrollment. If you choose to bring your family with you, will be responsible for them.

We know that it can take some time for you to feel comfortable in your new surroundings. That’s why you will be assigned to a recruiter at United Nursing International as questions may arise..

In return for the expenses we pay and the assistance we offer you in coming to the U.S., we ask that you contract with us as an employee of UNI for three years (156 weeks).


To work as a Registered Nurse in the United States, you must be licensed in the state in which you plan to practice. Initial licensure in a state is awarded by receiving a passing grade on the National Council License Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).

Once you pass the NCLEX-RN and are licensed in a state, you may apply to other states through a process known as endorsement.


The NCLEX-RN is designed to make sure that each nurse has the knowledge to practice safely at a minimum of an entry-level registered nurse. The NCLEX-RN examination, administered via Computerized Adaptive Testing (CAT), uses standard NCLEX-RN-examination, multiple-choice questions. With CAT, each candidate’s test is unique: It is assembled interactively as the individual is tested. As the candidate answers each question, the computer calculates a competence estimate based on all earlier answers. CAT provides greater measurement efficiency, because it administers only questions that will offer the best measurement of the candidate’s competence. For more information on the NCLEX-RN visit the National Council of State Boards Web site at

UNI will assist in your preparation for the NCLEX-RN. When you are ready to take the NCLEX-RN, UNI will assist you in obtaining a tourist or business visa. You will then be scheduled for the NCLEX-RN exam.

NCLEX Test Locations:

United States or United States Territories like Guam or American Samoa.
For more information on NCLEX please contact:

National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Inc.
111 East Wacker Drive
Suite 2900
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Phone Number: (312) 525-3600
Fax Number: (312) 279-1032

Interested in Working With Us?
Check out our job board to see the availability or reach out directly to apply today!
Scroll to Top